Appendix D: Suggested Questions for Treating Providers and Mental Health Consultants
Articulation of clear questions to be answered by the evaluator is one of the primary ways the police physician can improve the quality of the result obtained. It is good practice to review questions for an external evaluator with the employer to be certain the evaluation will address their concerns. Communication between the police physician and both treating and consulting mental health specialists is important to ensure accuracy and relevance.
- Do you believe the LEO now has suicidal intent? If yes, does the LEO have a plan?
- Does the LEOs present diagnosis(es) and/or treatment interfere with cognition, judgment, or attention to a degree which could compromise the safe performance of their duties?
- Is there any evidence of substance use/abuse which interferes with the LEO’s cognition, judgment, or attention to a degree which could compromise the safe performance of their duties?
- Is there any evidence of cognitive slowing, active psychosis, or response to internal stimuli which interferes with the LEO’s awareness of, interpretation of, or response to their physical and interpersonal environment?
- If you have responded affirmatively to any of questions 1 to 4, please indicate if and when you feel it would be appropriate to re-evaluate the LEO.
- Please make any recommendations you feel are appropriate concerning the LEO’s diagnosis and treatment plan.
- Does the LEO present a risk to himself/herself or others in the workplace due to one or more of the following factors:
- Attentional difficulties
- Hostility or intent to do harm to self or others
- Inability to follow work rules, including safety procedures
- Inability to understand, remember, or execute complex job instructions
- Impairment of judgment and decision-making abilities
- If so, please specify.
- Do you anticipate the LEO will encounter any difficulty in relating to co-workers or supervisors which would prevent return to the work environment?
- If you have responded in the affirmative to questions 7 or 9, please recommend any ways in which the employer can facilitate the LEO’s safe and successful return to duty.
- If it is your view that the LEO is not yet ready to return to work, please indicate when re-evaluation would be appropriate in terms of duration and milestones to be met.