- Barger LK, Lockley SW, Rajaratnam SM, Landrigan CP. Neurobehavioral, health, and safety consequences associated with shift work in safety-sensitive professions. Curr Neurol Neurosci Rep. 2009;9(2):155-64.
- Rajaratnam SM, Barger LK, Lockley SW, et al; Harvard Work Hours, Health and Safety Group. Sleep disorders, health, and safety in police officers. JAMA. 2011;306(23):2567-78.
- American Academy of Sleep Medicine. International Classification of Sleep Disorders: Diagnostic and Coding Manual. 2nd ed. Westchester, IL: American Academy of Sleep Medicine; 2005. Available at esst.org/adds/ICSD.pdf. Accessed November 18, 2013.
- Lee-Chiong TL, ed. Sleep Medicine Essentials. Hoboken, NJ: Wiley-Blackwell; 2009.
- Lax MB, Grant WD, Manetti FA, Klein R. Recognizing occupational disease – taking an effective occupational history. Am Fam Physician. 1998;58(4):935-44. Available at aafp.org/afp/1998/0915/p935.html. Accessed September 23, 2013.
- Kales A, Caldwell AB, Cadieux RJ, Vela-Bueno A, Ruch LG, Mayes SD. Severe obstructive sleep apnea – II: Associated psychopathology and psychosocial consequences. J Chronic Dis. 1985;38(5):427-34.
- Punjabi NM. The epidemiology of adult obstructive sleep apnea. Proc Am Thorac Soc. 2008;5(2):136-43. Available at atsjournals.org/doi/full/10.1513/pats.200709-155MG. Accessed September 23, 2013.
- Gurubhagavatula I, Maislin G, Nkwuo JE, Pack AI. Occupational screening for obstructive sleep apnea in commercial drivers. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2004;170:371-6.
- Dagan Y, Doljansky JT, Green A, Weiner A. Body Mass Index (BMI) as a first-line screening criterion for detection of excessive daytime sleepiness among professional drivers. Traffic Inj Prev. 2006;7(1):44-8.
- Platt AB, Wick LC, Hurley S, et al. Hits and misses: screening commercial drivers for obstructive sleep apnea using guidelines recommended by a joint task force. J Occup Environ Med. 2013;55(9):1035-40.
- Johns MW. Daytime sleepiness, snoring, and obstructive sleep apnea. The Epworth Sleepiness Scale. Chest. 1993;103(1):30-6.
- Sharwood LN, Elkington J, Stevenson M, et al. Assessing sleepiness and sleep disorders in Australian long-distance commercial vehicle drivers: self-report versus an “at home” monitoring device. Sleep. 2012;35(4):469-75. Erratum in: Sleep. 2013 Mar;36(3):449. Available at ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3296788/. Accessed September 23, 2013.
- Weaver TE, Grunstein RR. Adherence to continuous positive airway pressure therapy. Proc Am Thorac Soc. 2008;5(2):173-8. Available at ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2645251/. Accessed January 9, 2014.
- Adams J, Schneider J, Hubbard M, et at. Measurement of functional capacity requirements of police officers to aid in development of an occupation-specific cardiac rehabilitation training program. Proc (Bayl Univ Med Cent). 2010;23(1):7-10.
- Kribbs NB, Pack AI, Kline LR, et al. Effects of one night without nasal CPAP treatment on sleep and sleepiness in patients with obstructive sleep apnea. Am Rev Respir Dis. 1993;147(5):1162-8.
- Gay P, Weaver T, Loube D, Iber C; Positive Airway Pressure Task Force; Standards of Practice Committee; American Academy of Sleep Medicine. Evaluation of positive airway pressure treatment for sleep related breathing disorders in adults. Sleep. 2006;29(3):381-401.
- Rodenstein DO. Assessment of uvulopalatopharyngoplasty for the treatment of sleep apnea syndrome. Sleep. 1992;15(6 Suppl) S56-62.
- Mason M, Welsh EJ, Smith I. Drug therapy for obstructive sleep apnea in adults. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2013;5:CD003002.
- Tafil-Klawe M, Laudencka A, Klawe JJ, Miskowiec I. Does night work favor sleep-related accidents in police officers? J Physiol Pharmacol. 2005;56, Supp 4:223-6. Available at jpp.krakow.pl/journal/archive/09_05_s4/pdf/223_09_05_s4_article.pdf. Accessed November 18, 2013.
- Hartenbaum N, Collop N, Rosen I, et al. Sleep apnea and commercial motor vehicle operators: statement from the Joint Task Force of the American College of Chest Physicians, American College of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, and the National Sleep Foundation. J Occup Environ Med. 2006;48(9):S1-S37.
- Sack RL, Auckley D, Auger RR, et al. American Academy of Sleet Medicine. Circadian rhythm sleep disorders: part 1, basic principles, shift work and jet lag disorders. An American Academy of Sleep Medicine review. Sleep. 2007; 30(11):1460-83. Available at ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2082105/. Accessed August 23, 2016.
- Russo M. Pharmacotherapy of excessive sleepiness: focus on armodafinil. Clin Med Ther. 2009;1:415-32. Available at la-press.com/pharmacotherapy-of-excessive-sleepiness-focus-on-armodafinil-article-a1475. Accessed October 1, 2013.
- American Academy of Sleep Medicine. International Classification of Sleep Disorders, Revised: Diagnostic and Coding Manual. Chicago, IL: American Academy of Sleep Medicine; 2001.
- Richardson GS. Shift work sleep disorder. In: Sleep Medicine Essentials. Lee-Chiong TL, ed. Hoboken, NJ: Wiley-Blackwell; 2009:125-8.
- Caldwell JA, Caldwell JL. Fatigue in military aviation: an overview of US military-approved pharmacological countermeasures. Aviat Space Environ Med. 2005;76(7 suppl):C39-51.
- Caldwell JA Jr, Caldwell JL, Smythe NK 3rd, Hall K. A double blind, placebo controlled investigation of the efficacy of modafinil for sustaining the alertness and performance of aviators: a helicopter simulator study. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2000;150(3):272-82.
- Czeisler CA, Walsh JK, Wesnes KA, Arora S, Roth T. Armodafinil for treatment of excessive sleepiness associated with shift work disorder: a randomized controlled study. Mayo Clin Proc. 2009;84(11):958-72. Available at ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2770907. Accessed September 23, 2013.
- Garbarino S, De Carli F, Nobili L, et al. Sleepiness and sleep disorders in shift workers: a study on a group of Italian police officers. Sleep. 2002;25(6):648-53.
- Bassetti CL. Spectrum of narcolepsy. In: Baumann CR, Bassetti CL, Scammel TE, eds. Narcolepsy: Pathophysiology, Diagnosis, and Treatment. New York, NY: Springer; 2011:309-20.
- Alshaikh MK, Tricco AC, Tashkandi M, Mamdani M, Straus SE, BaHammam AS. Sodium oxybate for narcolepsy with cataplexy: systematic review and meta-analysis. J Clin Sleep Med. 2012;8(4):451-8. Available at ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3407266/. Accessed September 23, 2013.
- Earley CJ, Silber MH. Restless legs syndrome: understanding its consequences and the need for better treatment. Sleep Med. 2010;11(9):807-15.
- Hornyak M. Depressive disorders in restless legs syndrome: epidemiology, pathophysiology and management. CNS Drugs. 2010;24(2):89-98.
- Picchietti D, Winkelman JW. Restless legs syndrome, periodic limb movements in sleep, and depression. Sleep. 2005;28(7):891-8.
- Kushida CA, Morgenthaler TI, Littner MR, et al; American Academy of Sleep. Practice parameters for the treatment of snoring and obstructive sleep apnea with oral appliances: an update for 2005. Sleep. 2006;29(2):240-3.
- Amendola KL, Weisburd D, Hamilton EE, Jones G, Slipka M. Final Report to the NIJ: The Impact of Shift Length in Policing on Performance, Health, Quality of Life, Sleep, Fatigue, and Extra-Duty Employment. Washington, DC: Police Foundation; 2011. Executive summary available at policefoundation.org/content/impact-shift-length-policing-performance-health-quality-life-sleep-fatigue-and-extra-duty. Accessed October 1, 2013.