Traumatic Brain Injury
- FMCSA Medical Examiner Handbook: Traumatic Brain Injury. 2007;144.
- McGuire SA. Aeromedical decision making and seizure risk after traumatic brain injury: longitudinal outcomes. Aviat Space Environ Med. 2012;83:140-3.
- NFPA 1582. Standard on Comprehensive Occupational Medical Program for Fire Departments. 2018 edition.
- California Peace Officer Standards and Training Medical Screening Manual. https://www.post.ca.gov/medical-screening-manual.aspx.
- Lovell MR, Iverson GL, Collins MW, et al. Measurement of symptoms following sports-related concussion: reliability and normative data for the post-concussion scale. Appl Neuropsychol. 2006;13(3):166-74.
- Marar M, McIlvain NM, Fields SK, Comstock RD. et al. Epidemiology of concussions among United States high school athletes in 20 sports. Am J Sports Med. 2012;40(4):747-55.
- Covassin T, Moran R, Elbin RJ. Sex differences in reported concussion injury rates and time loss from participation: an update of the national collegiate athletic association injury surveillance program from 2004-2005 through 2008-2009. J Athl Train. 2016;51:189-94.
- McCrea M, Guskiewicz KM, Marshall SW, et al. Acute effects and recovery time following concussion in collegiate football players: the NCAA Concussion Study. 2003;19;290:2556-63. Available at: https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/197668. Accessed January 18, 2020.
- Kerr Z. Concussion symptoms and return to play time in youth, high school, and college American football athletes. JAMA Pediatr. 2016;170:647-53.
- McCrory P, Meeuwisse W, Dvorak J, et al. Consensus statement on concussion in sport – the 5th international conference on concussion in sport held in Berlin, October 2016. British J Sports Med. April 2017. Available at: https://bjsm.bmj.com/content/51/11/838. Accessed January 18, 2020.
- Leddy JJ, Willer B. Use of graduated exercise testing in concussion and return-to-activity management. Curr Sports Med Rep. 2013;12:370-75.
- Leddy JJ, Haider MN, Ellis M, Willer BS. Exercise is medicine for concussion. Curr Sports Med Rep. 2018;17(8):262-70. Available at: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6089233/.
- Sternback GL. The Glasgow Coma Scale. J Emerg Med. 2000;19(1):67-71.
- Rimel R, Giordani B, Barth J, Jane J. Moderate head injury: completing the clinical spectrum of brain trauma. 1982;11(3):344-51.
- Hill JJ 3rd, Mobo BH Jr, Cullen MR, et al, Separating deployment-related traumatic brain injury and posttraumatic stress disorder in veterans: preliminary findings from the Veterans Affairs traumatic brain injury screening program. Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2009;88(8):605-14.
- Brasure M, Lamberty GJ, Sayer NA, et al. Multidisciplinary Postacute Rehabilitation for Moderate to Severe Traumatic Brain Injury in Adults. Rockville, Md: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality; June 2012.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Report to Congress on Traumatic Brain Injury in the United States: Epidemiology and Rehabilitation. Atlanta, Ga: National Center for Injury Prevention and Control; 2015.
- Faul M, Xu L, Wald MM, Coronado VG. Traumatic Brain Injury in the United States: Emergency Department Visits, Hospitalizations and Deaths 2002-2006. Atlanta, Ga: CDC/National Center for Injury Prevention and Control; 2010.
- Santiago LA, Oh BC, Dash PK, Holcomb JB, Wade CE. A clinical comparison of penetrating and blunt traumatic brain injury. Brain Inj. 2012;26(2):107-25.
- International Headache Society. The International Classification of Headache Disorders, 3rd ed. Cephalalgia. 2018;38(1):1-211. https://ichd-3.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/The-International-Classification-of-Headache-Disorders-3rd-Edition-2018.pdf.
- Agrawal A, Timothy J, Pandit L, Manju M. Post-traumatic epilepsy: an overview. Clin Neurol Neurosurg. 2006;108(5):433-9.
- Ellis MJ, Cordingley DM, Vis S, Reimer KM, Leiter J, Russell K. Clinical predictors of vestibulo-ocular dysfunction in pediatric sports-related concussion. J Neurosurg Pediatr. 2017;19(1):38-45.
- American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. 5th ed. Washington, DC: APA; 2013.
- Annegers J, Hauser W, Coan S, Rocca W. A population-based study of seizures after traumatic brain injuries. N Engl J Med. 1998;338 (1):20-4. Available at: https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJM199801013380104. Accessed January 18, 2020.
- Englander J, Bushnik T, Duong TT, et al: Analyzing risk factors for late posttraumatic seizures: a prospective, multicenter investigation. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 2003;84:365-73.
- Walker WC, Ketchum JS 3rd, Marwitz JH, Kolakowsky-Hayner SA, McClish DK, Bushnik T. Global outcome and late seizures after penetrating versus closed traumatic brain injury: A NIDRR TBI Model Systems study. J Head Trauma Rehabil. 2015;30(4):231-40.
- McGuire SA, Marsh RW, Sowin TW, Robinson AY. Aeromedical decision making and seizure risk after traumatic brain injury: longitudinal outcome. Aviat Space Environ Med. 2012;83(2):140-3.
- Fielder E, Orme DR, Mills W, Patterson JC. Assessment of Head-Injury Aircrew: Comparison of FAA and USAF Procedures. Washington, DC: Office of Aerospace Medicine; 2001. https://www.faa.gov/data_research/research/med_humanfacs/oamtechreports/2000s/media/0111.pdf.
- Federal Motor Carrier Administration. Opinions of Medical Expert Panel: TBI and CDL Safety. October 2009. https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/sites/fmcsa.dot.gov/files/docs/TraumaticBrainInjury_MEP_Opinion.pdf. Accessed August 26, 2019.
- Ganguli M, Ratcliff R, Huff FJ, et al. Effects of age, gender, and education on cognitive tests in a rural elderly community sample: norms from the Monongahela Valley Independent Elders Survey. 1991;10(1):42-52.
- Ahern E, Semkovska M. Cognitive functioning in the first-episode of major depressive disorder: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Neuropsychol. 2017;31(1):52-72.
- Wrocklage KM, Schweinsburg BC, Krstal JH, et al. Neuropsychological functioning in veterans with posttraumatic stress disorder: associations with performance validity, comorbidities, and functional outcomes. J Int Neuropsychol Soc. 2016;22:399-411.
- Dikmen S, Machamer J, Fann JR, Temkin N. Rates of symptom reporting following traumatic brain injury. J Intern Neuropsych Soc. 2010;16:401-11.
- Raymont V, Greathouse A, Reding K, Lipsky R, Salazar A, Grafman J. Demographic, structural and genetic predictors of late cognitive decline after penetrating head injury. Brain. 2008;131(Pt 2):543-58.